Pray, Potential, Praise, Persevere, Pride, Peace
“Our mission at Torre is to create an environment where God’s children have the right to grow, learn, feel safe and be happy. We respect and look after each other in the way that God has taught us.”
We “Live life in all its fullness.” John 10:10.
At Torre, we believe that our curriculum should enable all children to learn, achieve their potential.
The staff at this school is committed to raising standards and providing the best education for the pupils in the school, within the Christian ethos.
The curriculum at Torre is organised into themes and discrete subjects. Children are taught to use their five key learning skills across the curriculum to encourage them to become both independent and collaborative learners. Pupils in the Early Years and Key Stage 1 associate these skills with images of different dinosaurs and in Key Stage 2, pupils link the skills to an image of a character.
The key learning skills are:
1. Social skill – I can work with others.
2. Communication skill – I can listen to the ideas of others and share my ideas.
3. Improving own learning skill – I can improve my own and others’ work.
4. Reasoning and problem solving skill – I can solve problems and explain how I solved them.
5. Creative skill – I can surprise people with my ideas.
Some key points about the curriculum at Torre:
* We follow the National Curriculum 2014. See the ‘jigsaws’ for an overview of what we cover (on this page).
* Our children are all encouraged to learn from their mistakes and they know that making mistakes is a good thing because they are learning. We enjoy celebrating our ‘favourite mistakes’ as we being to develop a ‘Growth Mindset’.
* Pupils are proud to be growing up in modern Britain and we do our best to prepare them for life in a modern and democratic society.
* Many of our exciting learning experiences are based on real life experiences and there is a purpose to the learning.
* Children are taught to use a variety of tools – ‘Torre’s Ten Tools’ to develop their independence skills.
* There is an over-arching theme for each term that provides a link for all subject areas.
* Maths, RE, computing (programming), PE are not linked unless there are obvious and meaningful links for learning.
* There are planned opportunities to develop and extend maths and English skills across the curriculum.
* Story-telling is our key strategy for teaching the skills of writing.
* Handwriting is taught at least 3x weekly.
* Read Write Inc is the key driver for the teaching of phonics/spelling.
* Reading is taught through our phonics programme. Guided Reading has a higher level of challenge and covers the breadth of reading materials and skills.
* Poetry is read to children each day. As well as poetry, in the EYFS, traditional rhymes and songs and Nursery rhymes are routinely part of everyday activities.
* Pupils are encouraged to read for pleasure and the children at Torre have a love of books.
* All other curriculum areas are taught using a SOLE (‘Self Organised Learning Experiences’) approach. Children move to different learning spaces throughout the day to the maths, storytelling, or SOLE room.
* PSHE is taught as a discrete lesson each week, preparing children to be active responsible citizens, where they learn the skills to make their own decisions about choices in their lives as they grow up.
* Learning Reviews end the week. Learning Journals show the learning journey and are shared with parents. These are posted on the school website from Nursery up to Year 6. From Year R to Year 6, parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s learning.
* Check-in and Check-out for starting and ending markers to the week. These ensure children are ready to learn and have learned.
For further information about our curriculum, please see the class pages.